viernes, 17 de abril de 2015

Reflections weeks 1-5


Through my particular experiences as a teaching practice professor, I can compare the methodology used in this course and the one used at the university, noting the differences and similarities. The main similarities are related to the content taught, the elements in the lessons planning, and the focus given to the way learners learn, considering their ages, level of proficiency and previous knowledge of the subject. The main difference is in the methodology used: the pragmatics and accurate usage of the language is relegated, giving more time and importance to grammatical aspects and correct use of the language.


In the same order of ideas, the insight of the students is not considered at the time of the planning. I tend to organize and plan activities that are inside of my comfort zone, most of the time using the learning style that characterize me. This is something that I wish to change, mainly in the Special Didactics classroom, because even though the methodology is practical, the main objective of the course is lost in the continued application of the activities that are alike to one another. 

I consider planning as the most important aspect of teaching, as it avoids improvisation, also helps to take into account the individual characteristics of our students, their strengths and weaknesses related to the content taught. the only downside of lesson planning from the last two semesters are in the constant changes in the content of the course and in the little amount of time given to implement such changes, and the little amount of time between semesters; therefore, the time for planning is even less. I am currently talking with two senior professors that are in charge of these modifications in order to create a teacher’s guidebook, helping the teachers with the planning of the course, as well as giving them a wide list of activities that focus in more than one specific learning style.


Finally, I must say that even though this reflection is based solely in the Special Didactics course, the lessons I have learnt so far can be easily translated to the Teaching Practice course, as it focuses in the improvement of our students’ performance in a classroom. For that reason, I am particularly interested in the content related to the teaching of grammatical aspects, so I can give a more broad range of possibilities to my students, who tend to use a grammatical approach in their performances.

1 comentario:

  1. Dear Natasha,
    I see you really internalized the workshop related to lesson planning as the basis of all the teaching process. I would like to read a little bit about what you used to do and what you are now thinking might change in your current practice concerning the workshops taken so far.
    Keep on the good job!

    ResponderEliminar